Thursday, September 11, 2008

On the Treadmill

[I had written this about a year back - when I look back, I almost marvel at how far I have come in my running.]


White sneakers pounding the treadmill. 8 kmph. Left foot, then right. Left. Right.
Relentless. Ever-moving. Pushing forward; getting nowhere. Seconds tick by – 600 to go, 599, 598.

Lungs bursting, legs about to give way. 300 seconds to go. How did I get myself into this mess? Should I just get off? Lead a normal life? Run only to get someplace?

I just *cannot* go on. 120 seconds to go, 119, 118. Count down. It has to be done- somehow.

The machine beeps. Cool down. Another session survived.

Never again! Never, never again.

But, tomorrow, I know I will be back.

_____
Drabble (n) - an extremely short work exactly one hundred words in length. The purpose of the drabble is brevity and to test the author's ability to express interesting and meaningful ideas in an extremely confined space.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails