Friday, August 28, 2009

A Sign?

Religious I am not, nor pretend to be, but I do believe in omens.
A group of people were taking their Ganapathi idol for visarjan yesterday. The music from the band accompanying the idol beckoned, and I took the kids down to see the procession.

“Mamma, I want prasad”, my older one whined. Many of the larger processions have a person sitting beside the idol giving out the candied sugar and peanuts that had been offered to the Ganapati.
“This one looks like a small Ganapathil”, I tried to reason with him. “They are not going to be giving out prasad.”

Since he couldn’t see the plate with the ceremonial offerings, my son didn’t insist on going to the idol, but I could see he was not too happy.

Then, out of the blue, a boy walked upto us and gave all three of us each of us a fistful of prasad. I could hardly believe my luck. Of all the people lined up to see the procession, what made him single out the three of us? Did he hear my son’s wish and decide to fulfill it?

As we walked back home – the older one munching the peanuts and candied sugar, the younger one guarding his in his fist – I couldn’t help wondering if it was a sign. Things haven’t exactly been going smoothly for us the last few months – maybe this is a sign that things are going to start looking up for all of us?

You don’t have to be religious to recognize an omen, do you?
Posted by Picasa

11 comments:

Jan Morrison said...

No. But you might have to be surperstious! I think the world is full of presence and we see it or not. Sometimes it is like a big encouraging presence "come on, it is delightful to be alive, it is precious, please enjoy this life." sometimes the presence is a scolding force "you weren't paying attention and you fell down - so what could you do now?" or "you forgot so & so's birthday and they are sad" Is that a god speaking or just us being willing to be fully awake?
Maybe small gods are the one that need to be appreciated?

Natasha said...

@ Jane - I am not sure if I am superstitious either, but I do believe in forces of nature, and things just falling into place. And this seemed to be just the sign I was waiting for.

joe doaks-Author said...

You know, I promised you in another comment that things would turn around...I see my magic is starting to work. Keep an eye out for more of the good stuff...it's coming. Woooo Hooooo!

Best Regards, Galen
Imagineering Fiction Blog

Natasha said...

Yes Galen you did. And it does seem to be coming true. Thanks!

Hart Johnson said...

I look at it all more from a life energy perspective... it is like tidal waves, sometimes they are bringing in, sometimes they are washing out... we always need to do some work to make progress and we really CAN get there no matter what, but sometimes the forces around us hinder, and sometimes they help, but they do seem to flow mostly in the same direction at any given time...

Maybe that is the Cancer in me...

dipali said...

I hope things look up, especially for your family's health.
I'm okay with good omens, but don't recognise or acknowledge bad ones!
This seems like a lovely one:)

Natasha said...

@Tami - yes, a tidal wave does sort of describe how life has been to me. There is a force out there that is mostly batting for me (or I would like to believe it is, even though I know it is doing the same for lots of other people), but sometimes it seems to work in your favour and sometimes against you.

@dipali - 'bin mange prasad mile', can anything be more auspicious than that? And I tend to either ignore the bad ones or twist them around to my way of thinking. Strangely, my mother is convinced bad omens work, but not good ones - yet another way in which we are different.

Patricia Stoltey said...

Sometimes it's just a matter of paying attention and being ready for good things when they come our way. I wish you not only good omens, but good fortune.

Natasha said...

Thank you Patricia. Good fortune is always welcome, as long as the fortune includes good health.

Elspeth Futcher said...

May the omen be correct! What a lovely story.

Elspeth

Natasha said...

Thank you, Elspeth.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails