Thursday, January 14, 2010

Gingerbread men

I had always know about the existance of something called gingerbread men, but could not count any among my list of acquaintances. And I was in no great hurry to change that either.
That state of bliss lasted till last month, when the status messages of most of my friends spoke about gingerbread men, gingerbread houses and even gingerbread Towers of London. One spoke about beheading a dozen of them to cope with Christmas stress, another put up pictures of what she claimed were a lopsided house. I could not bear to not jump on the bandwagon.
The internet gave me dozens of recipies. I chose one that I thought made the most sense. The kids helped with the measuring, the mixing and the kneading. It was a fun project.
It was only when I pulled out the rolling pin that I realised I did not have the one thing every recipie took for granted - a gingerbread man cutter.
Having made the dough, I improvised. Four custommade gingerbread men, two of which broke apart even before I took them off the baking dish.
To be honest, I wasn't displeased with the result. They could have turned out a lot better, but they could as well have ended up being a lot worse. They were okay as they were.
I'm definitely doing it again next year. Only need to decide whether I should invest in a gingerbread man cutter before that, or to continue the tradition I started this year.

And yes, this post should have been up a few weeks back, but I have got increasingly lazy about downloading photographs :-(
Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good job with the gingerbread people!

I posted a picture of this amazing gingerbread church our local bakery made...

Elizabeth Spann Craig said...

They look like little men to me! Good job with it.

Elizabeth
Mystery Writing is Murder
Mystery Lovers’ Kitchen

Elspeth Futcher said...

Excellent job without a cutter! Reading everyone's posts can be the start of many kitchen tasks. For me, last year, it was reading about everyone having their turkey dinner in November. I went out and bought a turkey. What else are you going to do?

Elspeth

Natasha said...

@ Fiona - I remember the spectacular photograph you had posted - of the gingerbread church and a reflection of the church on which it was modelled. That was one of the many mentions that got me started.

@ Elizabeth - thanks

@ Elspeth - I don't know about you, but I am such a reluctant cook, I mostly need an external catalyst to get me started on such projects.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails