Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Grab every Opportunity

Ten year old Manisha believes in grabbing every opportunity. For centuries, her forefathers have been strangers to the written word, but when a private school took her on as a charity student, she shot to the top of the class.


Her mother is often forced to beg on the streets, to get enough money to feed her family a single meal a day. Undernutrition was taking its toll on Manisha's ability to concentrate on her studies. But just fifteen dollars a month gives her three healthy meals a day. Is that too much to change the life of a child?
_____
To read the full story, whether or not you want to donate, click here.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Rayna - Thank you for reminding us that sometimes, what it takes to unlock a child's potential is the things we take so much for granted. Plenty of food, a comfortable space to study and so on. Hey everyone, please check out Rayna's link. It doesn't take much if we all work together.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Sad to think a lack of food could keep someone from getting an education.

Theres just life said...

I have been in a similar situation myself and I know how hopeless and depressing it can be. Luckily I had help. I hope all those who can afford to help will.
Thank you for the reminder that no matter what our circumstances are, there are others worse off than us.

Elizabeth Spann Craig said...

Thanks so much for sharing the link, Rayna, and for the reminder of ways we can help.

Natasha said...

@ Margot - thank you, Margot. Even living in India, I forget that there are so many people who don't have the things I take for granted.

@ Alex - that is one thing I needed to have spelt out to me before I could grasp it. But if you look at it dispassionately, it is obvious.

@ Pamela Jo - that's terrible. *hugs*

@ Elizabeth - thank you. Even spreading the word that a little bit can make a big difference is a great thing.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails