Saturday, May 7, 2011

150 years ago, today...

Half a lifetime ago, I actually learnt a new language so I could read his works in the original- even though I never got fluent enough to actually do so.

He's probably the only poet in the world who penned verses that later became the national anthems of two separate countries. He's definitely the first non-European to win the Nobel Prize in Literature. He composed over two thousand songs, and created an entire genre of light classical music. And he founded India's first University devoted to the Fine Arts.

One hundred and fifty years ago, today, Rabindranath Tagore was born.
Rabindranath Tagore
May 7, 1861 - August 7, 1941

_____
drabble is a story told in exactly 100 words.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Natasha - OK, now I am definitely going to Google Kabiguru Rabindranath Tagore; what an interesting and talented person!!

Catherine Denton said...

Wow! So many songs. I can't even imagine. Thank you for the peek into history.
My Blog

My Inspired Reality said...

Yes, indeed, he is one of my favorites. In fact, one of his quotes is the gateway to my non-profit org.:):) Glad to have found you:)

Chuck said...

Rayna, again you add to my list of things I didn't know. Which two countries?

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

That's impressive!

dipali said...

@Chuck: India and Bangla Desh.
Rayna, Tagore was a phenomenon- did so much withing one life , and was really much larger than life!

Al said...

Tagore was an influential person, of course we in the west have mostly forgotten him.

Amazing dedication to learn Bangla to read Tagore.
Does that make you trilingual? or are you multilingual?
I'm guessing Marathi, English and Hindi at least? + of course some Bangla.

Sueann said...

Wow! I never knew this! Thank you for the info
Hugs
SueAnn

Laurie Peel, CRA-RP said...

I found you through the A-Z challenge - I know it's over but I'm still working my way through the list of participants. Very interesting post...and I love the drabble format. My blog is at http://earthdragonhealing.blogspot.com. It's quite different from most others in the challenge. Drop by and say hi.

LTM said...

sigh. I'm not going to say who, but I'm very impressed that I've learned something new! :D

Hope you had a great weekend! Happy Mother's Day!!! <3

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails