Friday, October 7, 2011

Best friends forever

A dear friend, a very dear friend, did something the other day that upset me. Upset me so much, I almost thought of ending the closeness, and pulling back being slightly more than mere acquaintances.
And then I thought about it. My friend did what she did because of who she is. She could not have done otherwise; that is just not her.

I can’t change my friend. But I value the friendship. Does it make sense to put our relationship in jeopardy for something I cannot control?

I called her up and spoke for long. We are still friends.
_____
drabble is a story told in exactly 100 words.

6 comments:

Tricia J. O'Brien said...

I had something like that happen a year ago. I worked past my hurt and kept the friend for the things that make her so wonderful. It seems like sometimes the qualities we admire in someone (being assertive or easy-to-get-along with or honest) can become things that grate (bossiness, lack of backbone, callousness). Hopefully, we all learn to control and use our good points to their advantage, not disadvantage. Wishing you and your friend (and me and mine) a smooth road ahead.

Erin Beyko said...

I came to this same realization about a friend of mine who I ran into some difficutlies with a while back. I'm so glad I did, friendships are worth so much more than we realize until we imagine life without them.

Jemi Fraser said...

I'm glad you were able to keep the friendship. It's a tough world and those friendships, while flawed, and invaluable.

Theres just life said...

I am glad you are still friends. I think all friendships go through this. It is the truly good ones that survive.

Pamela Jo

Anonymous said...

Natasha - Thank you for sharing this story. I am so happy for you that you were able to save your friendship even though your friend had upset you. I think it's a matter of priority, really. How much do we really value a friendship? Once we answer that question, we can see past mistakes and weaknesses and put things in perspective.

Chuck said...

That is so great. I have a friend who acts how he acts regardless...he alienates many people but I am still playing golf with him tomorrow morning. I am sure I will think of this at that time since he has done many things over the years to upset me to that point but instinctively I must have realized what you did. Great post Rayna!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails