Thursday, April 12, 2012

Kutta, a dog


When you think of a dog, the words that come to mind are loyal and faithful. But ‘kutta’ is an an insult that is used to great effect in the language.
To be honest, as with most similar insults, I haven’t yet been able to figure out exactly what ‘kutta’ means. Surprisingly, given the predominant qualities of the animal, the word ‘kutta’ seems to imply someone who is utterly untrustworthy.
All I know is that when someone refers to another person as ‘kutta’ in my presence, I turn around and ask them why they are insulting the poor animal so.
_____

There are words, and there are words. Some words can be easily translated, others need to be described.  In April, I’ll attempt to capture the Soul of 26 'Indian' words in a  drabble of exactly 100 words.

3 comments:

Tracy said...

what a cute sweet animal...love the name 'Kutta' grea blog you have; I'm glad I visited~

Anonymous said...

Natasha - Oh, that's really interesting that kutta is an insult. I've heard the phrase "dirty dog" before, too. It seems ironic to me, too, although I happen to be a dog-lover, so I'm biased...

D.E. Malone said...

I guess I've heard people call others 'dogs' as an insult, too. I don't understand the context though, since dogs are one of the best animals.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails