Friday, October 12, 2012

Not to be a lady

For a long time, I envied women who were ladies. Women who wore the right clothes, said the right things, and knew how to conduct themselves in social-settings. No matter how hard I tried, I could never become one.
Injustice bothers me, and I am not afraid to create a scene when faced with something that is Wrong. When I have something to say, I say it, without worrying about how many feathers it will ruffle.
Now I realize being a lady is not all that great- I would rather be a woman who stands up for what is Right.

On the International  Day of the Girl, Nora Ephron's words are so true-
"Whatever you choose, however many roads you travel, I hope that you choose not to be a lady. I hope you will find some way to break the rules and make a little trouble out there. And I also hope that you will choose to make some of that trouble on behalf of women."
Nora Ephron
______
This is the fourth year that I am going to be a part of NaBloWriM. The Plan is to elaborate (in 100 words) on a quote that touched my heart- let's see how far this takes me. If I can tie it in with the writing prompt, so much the better!

4 comments:

Tricia J. O'Brien said...

Beautifully done and important, Natasha. And it is so poignant and timely due to the despicable shooting of 14-year-old Malala because she dared to stand up for education for girls.

Chuck said...

I agree with with you Natasha...proper ladies never really were that "real" to me.

Sueann said...

I too chose not to be a lady!! So good for you
Hugs
SueAnn

Anonymous said...

Natasha - And that's what makes you such a powerful person. You speak up when there is a need to do so. The world needs more people like you.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails