Tuesday, January 15, 2013

I am glad

When my son finished reading the fourth Harry Potter book, I had to take a decision. At nine, he was not ready to handle the raw emotions coursing through the fifth book, but I didn’t want to censor his reading either.
I hoped he would find the book boring, but no such luck- he is as tenacious a reader as his mother was. All I could do was stay with him every step of the way; explaining what needed to be explained, softening the blows, putting things in context.
He’s now finished the series. I am glad I let him.
______
A Drabble is a story told in exactly 100 words.

3 comments:

Kittie Howard said...

It's beautiful how you've made the world of books a very special place.

Shaharizan Perez said...

Good for you for not censoring your son's reading concerning the Harry Potter Series. The deaths and battles could be a bit much for 9 and 10 year olds' but in them are valuable lessons too!

Great drabble!

Anonymous said...

Natasha - I'm glad you did, too. Your son will benefit so much from reading what he chooses to read with your guidance and help, not with censorship. You've shown that parents can care about and love their children without smothering them.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails