Sunday, October 6, 2013

Process the books with maturity


Many years back, I told a woman at a bookstore that the Harry Potter books dealt with themes that her 12 year old might not be able to handle. Those words came back to haunt me when my older one started reading the series around the time he turned nine. And now, my seven and a half year old has picked up the first book.

For awhile, I contemplated taking the book away from him, but when did banning achieve anything more than igniting curiosity?

The only thing I can do is to help him process the books with maturity.

______
This is the fifth year that I am going to be a part of NaBloWriM. The writing mojo seems to have deserted me, but by elaborating either on a quote that touches my heart, or by attempting to capture a fleeting emotion, let me see how long I last.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Natasha - Oh, you wise woman. You're so right about banning. It achieves nothing and what's worse, it gives young people the message that something is wrong with reading. Much better to work with children as they read challenging books or books with difficult themes than it is to forbid them.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails